Saturday, October 30, 2010

Module IV

Three ways I might use the resources in Module IV in my classroom:

1.    The Teacher Domain sites are invaluable to building a visual understanding for students and teachers alike. They explain the Pacific Rim of Fire visually, which cannot be reproduced in words. Using Google Earth to locate places and to calculate distances is also a wonderful tool to any teacher's toolbox. I will definitely use it.
2.    I would use the TD and You Tube resources to reinforce the idea that the earth is a dynamic, powerful “being” under our feet. And, many cultural stories stem from trying to make sense of this dynamic, and many times catastrophic, display of power, which occurs as a result of earth’s turmoil with itself. Things we earthlings depend upon to be consistent just isn’t over time. And as such, in ancient times a great respect for Mother Earth was created because she had the power to create and destroy. Today, modern science elevates itself above such reverence, and therein lies the disconnect between academia and culture.
3.    Resources:
Volcano Woman
Volcanoes around the world

Three things I learned: 
1. Two types of earth's forces that cause volcanoes: hot spots and plate action;
2. I know about the controversy on Hawaii over the observatories. I’ve heard speakers for both positions and watched documentaries concerning the cultural history and relevance of the mountain. What was new information for me was the need/desire to build a new structure. I agree with the native traditional perspective. Use what is there – upgrade or whatever, but another structure would not only be an eye sore, but also, negating native Hawaiian traditional values.
3. How to use the ruler in Google Earth. That was cool! My class is writing to students in Craig, AK so I will go on Google Earth and show them the community and use the ruler to show that Craig is about 733 miles from Anchorage.

Three colleagues:
Ernestine Hayes.
 I appreciate her cultural comments and her perspective on land. I also love her comments, which include comments from Paul Marks. All indigenous people lived by the moon. We Native people have 13 lunar cycles to our year. The western way of thinking had to cram 2 full moons into one month to make all of the full moons fit into a 12 month year. And when 2 full moons occur in one month we say, "Once in a blue moon". How blue got associated with 2 full moons in one month is a story I don't know.
Konrad Mittelstadt.
I really liked Konrad’s research into traditional stories.  His relaying of the Tlingit legends of a monster frog living in the bay that created a death trap is so relevant to me. Native people have observed phenomenon, and their stories tell “tales” if the listener can make the conscientious link between culture and “science”.
Tracy R. Pulido.
 I liked her humor laced with  a reality check. I think all of us who have survived from the land feel we have a reasonable chance of making it if the world does go to “hell”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment