Saturday, November 27, 2010

Module VIII - Cryosphere

 Live From the North Pole: 
"The value of research coupled with nature's
own wondrous display"
Explain
         This module focuses on the Arctic sea ice and the term cryoshpere, which was new to me.  I learned several things about the cryosphere during this exploration and enjoyed it very much. This coming week I'm attending a symposium on placed based learning in New Bedford, MA, so this module couldn't have been more appropriately placed. 
         I found the article:  “When Contemporary Science and Indigenous Knowledge  Collide: Two     Ways of Knowing How to Survive and Thrive as the Climate  Changes,” very insightful. That coupled with with the Anchorage Declaration renewed the commitment we must all make if indigenous peoples all over the globe are to survive with any authenticity. They are pleading with the global community to validate their way of life and to recognize their right to retain a life style unique to their cultures.
        When a people have a traditional heritage that becomes threatened because of an endangered species being over harvested then I believe compromises need to be made. This is important for the heritage to continue. 
       For example, when I was a little girl I remember loving beaver feet. Beaver feet was a real treat. My family moved away from the area and I haven't eaten beaver feet in 20+ years. They no longer have a draw for me, and that is sad. Beaver are not endangered, but I offer this example trying to show how restricting the harvesting of traditional foods for indigenous people can affect future generations. My kids have never tasted beaver feet, and if they do they almost certainly will not like it like my traditional uncle and his family do. Culture dies when its traditions are not generational.
       
Cultural Connections: 
  "Let us walk softly upon the earth for it does not belong to us, but to our children and their children and their children and ..."



  • People of the Arctic    This site has several resources concerning Alaska Native Perspectives on Land and Climate with clips on the cryosphere. It also offers lesson plans and student activities. 
    •  Lessons and Activities about Arctic Peoples This is a great site for teachers wondering just how to teach a unit on Arctic peoples. It will help "...your students understand that the indigenous cultures of the Arctic - like other cultures of the world - change over time, incorporating modern technology while retaining traditional values and activities? In this article, we've highlighted resources that can help you design a lesson or unit about Arctic cultures."

    Extend 

    I am going to use the experiments with the ice cubes melting in the glass and the one with two glasses -  one covered in white and the other in black paper. I'll do this when I return as I am out all of next week. I bookmarked the page. So, I'm not sure if my graphs will make it onto the blog or not. Time is running out. I'm wondering if this site will remain up so it can be accessed after the class is over? I know I would use it. I wonder at the time Clay must put in to find the  resources and write the modules!

    Technology: 
     Several great selections.
    Great site for students to see the interconnectedness for species.

    Creating Inquiry:
    This site asks students to identify the challenges involved in building a structure in a remote area of the Arctic. They then build and explore. A wonderful lesson for grades 5 and up.



    Three Colleague:
    • Dave Sather: I loved his "Carl Sagan's Cosmos - Star Stuff" from Module VII. Fabulous resources! 
    • Esther Gust   From Module V. I liked that she is learning as much as I am, and enjoying it. She is even sharing the information with her students, and that's so appropriate as they are on the ocean 
    • Alicia Weaver   I appreciated her photo of Quinhagak. It brings me back to my roots - village Alaska.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment